blogged by Olivia Shih

150119For many many many unforeseeable reasons beyond our control, WU-GU construction is suffering from extended delay (you do not have a whole day to read and I do not have a whole day to whinge, let’s not get into it..).

Now we are seeing light at end of tunnel, at last.

Some lessons I have learnt to date are:


1. Contract is a formal documentation of human relationships.

Contractual arrangements between all parties (including and definitely not limiting to leasing contract between client and his/ her landlord) have direct impact on people’s mentality, which directly influence people’s attitude, performance and reliability.


2. Amount of time spent =/= quality of outcome.


3. (reinforced) Persistence.


Anyway, let’s do look at some nice site photos!


In order of photo:


1. The hoarding came down, this was the first time I have looked at the facade in its entirety.
Was so exciting!

2. Close up of facade in process.  The window mullions are made of 8mm steel flatbar, designed to be very refined to minimise gaps between facade joinery boxes.

3. Majority of the facade came flarpacked and was built off-site, they give more depth to the facade.

4. strong linearity inside the shop

5. most of internal spatial divisions were also built up by the flatpacked boxes

6. lights up;
modularity of the boxes extending from inside to the outside is visible; the entire shop was designed with the base unit of the box.

7. lighting effect from afar


blogged by Olivia Shih

141215One very large aspect of the WU-GU project is the extensive use of off-site assembly.


Majority of the fitout was flatpacked and assembled off-site, to work in parallel with the site work in order to reduce amount of time required.


The entire off-site process has taken almost as long as the site work to date, which means, without off-site construction planned into the design, the construction time could have been doubled.


Snap shots at the off-site “assembly line” over the past weeks…


In order of photos:


1. arrived all flatpacked…these are only half of the components.

2. painting of the components before assemblage

3. ..drying…

4. one of the first few units assembled

5. colour matching with the sample (the little piece of plywood) – this is a pretty good match. We did have some difficulty with application method, but we ended up with a good result

6. full-on!!
there are a few types of boxes, some are better painted after assemblage, some are better painted prior

7. call in the helpers!
the system was designed to minimise skilled labour requirement, so when necessary we can get more people to help

8. neatly packed!
there are still more to go, but probably 90% done!



blogged by Olivia Shih



Before MEUDON has completely finished, we have to make a start on ANOTHER SITE last week.


It was a 4am start, in order to minimise any disturbance to neighbours.

We were starting on building the mezzanine structure to the soon-to-be restaurant first.


Because almost all the intertenancy walls are not structural, the mezzanine is cantilevered on all sides from concrete columns with some help of couple of new steel columns.  As the result the steel members are rather oversized, very heavy to transport indeed.


By end of Day 1, we had most of the mezzanine bones up – hooray~~!


1. quietly……

2. shhhhhhhh…….

3. surveying the mezzanine height…

4. end of Day 1 – someone said it looks like a movie set; I guess it does!!

5. one of the complicated steel junctions at top of the stair